So today, I had to replace a voltage transformer for the light in the ambry. The transformer takes 120V (which is the standard voltage coming into buildings in the US) and changes it to 12V (which is what the lightbulb uses).
Unfortunately, the breaker box was not labelled for this transformer, and there was no exposed wire for me to be able to test the transformer with a voltmeter. I basically had to guess which breaker it was on (I ended up just turning most of them off) and then cut into the (potentially live) wire, and measure the voltage that way. There was none (as I hoped).
After doing that without electrocuting myself, I turned the breakers on one by one, testing the voltage after each one, so I could figure out which breaker it was on.
After turning on all the breakers, there was no voltage going into that wire. I don’t know why. There’s no way for me to get behind the ambry to check the cords, there’re no panels I can open. I don’t even know if the ambry light every actually worked.
I just don’t know.